014: Instagram is doing what!?
If you're into sharing photographs, or are a photographer who needs inspiration, Instagram is the place to go. Since its inception in 2010, the photo-sharing site boasts an impressed 500,000,000 users!
Last week Instagram, the company now owned by Facebook, that it would be tweaking when and how you see photographs in your feed. Currently, photographs are shown in chronological order based on when they were posted. Like Facebook, Instagram wants to show relevant content to you first and has announced that they will be doing just that. Newest content will no longer be the "top of mind" for some users. The algorithm change means that the types of images and videos you interact with most is going to appear higher up your feed; similarly the types of media you don't interact with will fall lower and lower down your feed.
The app company has made it clear that users' content is not going to disappear, but it is simply working on re-arranging the content so that the most relevant content comes first. Raymond and I talk about it in the podcast above.
In todays episode, we talk about:
- Why people love sharing their photos to Instagram
- How Instagram works
- The relationship between Instagram and its parent, Facebook
- Why your Facebook feed isn't in chronological order
- What Instagram is planning to do with its new Algorithm
- How Instagram's new change will affect photographers
- Why Instagram has been such a great platform for photographers over the years
- How brands grow on Instagram and how can do the same thing to grow your following
- What type of photographer will be impacted the most by this change
- Why Instagram should be viewed as a community
- How interacting with your community will grow your following and make you more relevant
- What you can do to ensure you still show up on your friends feed
- Why its not a bad thing to pay to boost posts
- Why pros today have a much larger advantage over photographers in the 80s-90s
- Why you should never put all your eggs in one social platform basket
- Why you should make a Poutien only Instagram
- And why we see Instagram's new algorithm change as a good thing.
Links and Resources: