Elise Meader is a lifestyle, family, child photographer, and all around super-woman. Hailing from Central Mass, Elise recounts her epic tale of how she went from passion photographer capturing her kids on their level, to creating wall-mount worthy moments of families'. Elise's laid-back, non-critical path to capturing real moments as opposed to clinically exposed is a big driving force behind her rise to popularity in the central Mass area.
"I put the camera down first, get them to trust me and I talk to them like I would talk to my own kids. Sometimes I shout out the word 'fart!' and it works."
"Do what you would do if I was not here." - on directing families.
In this episode you'll learn:
- How Elise got started in photography
- Who gave her the push to go for it
- How she started shooting automatic and then switched to manual
- Why she made the switch and who encouraged her to not give up
- Simple photo projects that Elise did at home that her learn manual
- How Elise gets kids to interact with her when she pulls the camera
- How Elise gets the parents to take a deep breath and relax
- I share how I get couples to relax if they are stressed out during an engagement session
- How often Elise is shooting with her camera
- The gear Elise uses and why it shocked us
- How she utilized the equipment she had to define a style for her
- How Elise interacts with the families she working with
- Why Elise is taking a different approach when it comes to lenses
- What advice Elise was getting from other photographers when she first started
- How she found her photography style through the criticism
- Why we love the approach she took of just shooting however she likes
- How she try's to make a new world out of the chrildrens imagination
- What Elise does with the photos she takes
- How Elise handles the photos of her own chrildren
- The old school method of showing off her printed photos
- Why she prints small photo proofs instead of getting a photo book printed
- How you can start making family yearbooks at home
- The fun Photo project Elise does with her family every day
- How incredibly useful her Project 366 has been to her professional work
- I ask if she goes to weddings and only photographs kids
- How Elise got into shooting her first wedding after shooting just kids
- Why Elise is going her own way when it comes to shooting what she wants to shoot.
- Why specializing in one area of photography might not work for you
- And Elise's favorite compliment to get from parents
Links and Resources:
`You should probably mess around in Manual... you know that is a great idea!"